Thursday 21 January 2010

Beatroot.

*Sadly Beatroot is now closed*

Last Wednesday my friend Tabitha & I headed up to London to buy the fabric to make my wedding dress. I was super excited to find out that vegetarian cafe Beatroot is on the exact same street as all the fabric shops we were visiting.


Situated about halfway down Berwick Street, which is just off Oxford Street, Beatroot is a cafeteria style cafe with a menu that changes day to day & always has loads of vegan option.

As always I went for a little bit of everything.

The staff at Beatroot are super generous with their portions, this is a large container but they just kept piling on the food, as you can see I doubt I could've got that lid shut! The large box was about £5 and there are also small and medium boxes to choose from.

Hidden right down at the bottom was a really delicious Shepherds Pie, full of veggies. Also hidden was an amazing brown rice dish that I really picked so I could justify an extra sausage roll but it turned out to be one of my favourite bits of the meal! It was crunchy and full of barley and seeds, yum! I also picked the Quinoa Taboullah which was full of chickpeas and sunflower seeds and was seasoned with parsley and a yummy lemony olive oil dressing. There's a kidney bean, beansprout and peanut salad hidden right at the back, it was a little too spicy for me but I can't handle pepper so I think most people would have loved it!

The roasted veggies were perfect, the sausage rolls were seriously good and the broccoli was really well done too, and I'm pretty fussy about my broccoli!

It's a bit of a shame we managed to get the dress fabric sorted or we'd have a reason to head back up there soon, I'm looking forward to ending up in this part of London again because Beatroot was awesome and I forgot to order one of their freshly squeezed juices!



10 comments:

  1. Not been to beatroot for a few years now, used to be one of my favourite haunts. They're generally really stingey with the sausage rolls - you have to ask for several first, a couple half way through then another at the end to get the most. Took some omnis there a few years back - they weren't impressed! I like their mush though - good to see it's not changed. Can probably guess the fabric shop, bought some tasteful fluffy cow print material from there once

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lot of tasty looking food! How awesome that the location was just perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I wish I lived there- I'm a sucker for a big box of vegan lusciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great, and I love the name. Beatroot - how clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steven I'm sorry you had a stingy sausage roll experience at beatroot, they were very generous when we went, my friend got about 7. I think I can guess where you got your cow print fabric but my wedding dress fabric came from a very classy store just down the road :-)

    Mihl the puff pastry thing is a sausage roll, there were more but I ate them before taking the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOAH! All that amazing grub for a fiver!! That is awesome!
    Glad you got your fabric sorted out though - one less thing on the list.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks really good. There is a tiny chance I may be going to London later this year. I'll have to remember Beatroot if I go to Oxford St.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was one the one place that Toby and I disagreed on, he loved it and I wasn't a fan, sorry!

    Great meeting you in London though, I blogged about London over at the new blog:
    http://inthemoodfornoodles.blogspot.com/2009/12/london-part-2-amazing-good-and-average.html

    By the way, what do did you think of the aussie snacks?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been there! It was years & years ago, but once of the cheapest / tasty places I went.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, Beatroot used to be one of my favourite places to go on a rainy day in London! Not so many people tend to know about it, for some reason. But it's always good for a massive, satisfying feed.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!